- ‘small room’ is negative for a hotel review and ‘small queue’ is positive for a post office
- go read the book’ is positive for a book review but negative for a movie review.
From LCT slides:
“Dear <hardware store>
Yesterday I had occasion to visit <yourcompetitor>. The had an excellent selection, friendly and helpful sales people, and the lowest prices in town.
You guys suck.
Sincerely,”From the Sentiment Analysis : a comprehensive guide:
- "The picture quality of camera A is poor" This direct opinion states a negative opinion about camera A.
- “The picture quality of camera A is better than that of camera B” A a positive opinion about camera A and, conversely, a negative opinion about camera B.
- “The voice quality of this phone is amazing” this sentence expresses an explicit positive opinion.
- “The earphone broke in two days” this sentence expresses an implicit negative opinion.
Intent may become key for tasks such as sentiment analysis—a concept that generally has a negative connotation, e.g., small seat, might turn out to be positive, e.g., if the intent is for an infant to be safely seated in it.
- ↑ Cambria, E., & White, B. (2014). Jumping NLP curves: A review of natural language processing research. IEEE Computational Intelligence Magazine, 9(2), 48-57.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.